What is SEN?

Here is a definition of Special Educational Needs:

Pupils have special educational needs if they have a learning difficulty which calls for special educational provision to be made for them.

Pupils have a learning difficulty if they:

  • have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of children of the same age
  • have a disability which prevents or hinders them from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for children of the same age in similar schools

Pupils must not be regarded as having a learning difficulty solely because the language of their home is different from the language in which they will be taught. These are considered EAL (English as an Additional Language) students, which is overseen by Katie Elward, the EAL teacher.

Students with behaviour difficulties DO come under the SEN department’s jurisdiction, but largely this is overseen by the Behaviour Co-Ordinator (BECO) and Behaviour Intervention Assistant.